Thursday, February 5, 2009

Rookie Mistake

Alana started having the big D on Tuesday night.  Yesterday I thought may be that she was eating too much fruit so I decided to just have her eat stuff that was more wholesome.  I was familiar with the BRAT diet and that cheese will stop you up.  So I gave her a mixture of refried beans, brown rice and cheese.  I didn't want to give her the bananas and applesauce part because I thought it was sugar that caused it in the first place. It got pretty bad yesterday and then last night she woke up at 1:40 AM with it everywhere.  I called the nurse hotline this morning and she said it was probably a virus after a little discussion about the BRAT diet I learned that the BROWN rice (and beans) I had given her made it worse.  DUH that stuff is rich in fiber which makes you go!  I knew all this stuff but didn't connect the dots.  I feel so stupid!  Poor baby!  Even though it goes against everything I believe in she's lived on totally fiberless food today and is doing a bit better.  : )

2 comments:

G-ma Susan said...

Hi, Erin! When my kids were little and had the "D" word, my told me how they dealt with it in the "Olden Days." It almost always worked. It is SCRAPED apple (not to be confused with applesauce). It was explained to me that the pectin in an apple is closer to the skin of the apple, and pectin has an anti-"D" effect. So you cut your apple in half or quarters, cut out most of the white part and, using a spoon, scrape out what is next to the skin and feed that "applesauce" to the child.

G-ma Susan said...

Oops! I just noticed I left out my "credit." It was my mom who told me. Her mom told her. It's an old remedy for "D."